Welcome to the new Parish Council Website – Launched 13 September 2023
ERYC, Trading Standards Services has received reports of Nottingham Knockers cold calling in East Riding villages.
You may know this group as ‘duster sellers’. They are normally young males carrying large bags full of cleaning products which they offer for sale door-to-door. This approach is believed to have started in the Nottingham area, hence the term ‘Nottingham Knockers’. Unfortunately, as well as selling everyday items at inflated prices, they may also be looking for suitable targets with a view to either obtaining personal details to sell on, or committing crime.
These callers typically claim to be ex-offenders trying to make a new start in life by working on a probation or rehabilitation scheme, and may show a false ID card, or a false Pedlar’s Certificate (genuine certificates are issued by the Police). Government rehabilitation schemes do not involve door-to-door sales.
Local residents have reported that some of these callers have been abusive. It is also believed that others may try to charm their way in, making repeat visits to the same household.
The best course of action for local residents is:
· DON’T DEAL WITH COLD CALLERS
· Do not make up-front payments to any cold callers.
· Do not deal with Nottingham Knockers.
· NEVER allow Nottingham Knockers into your home.
· If you are aware of Nottingham Knockers visiting your neighbourhood, please report any such activity to the Police immediately, using the non-emergency number, 101. Give as much information as you can such as times dates, descriptions and vehicle registration numbers. By doing this you may help prevent crime.
· Report any suspicions about other types of door-to-door selling to Citizens Advice consumer helpline 0808 223 1133, giving as much information as you can, such as business names and addresses.